Is "Winning the fight but then losing in a cutscene" the worst trope in gaming history?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I've only been playing Final Fantasy 16 for about 5 hours, but I've noticed it at least twice now.

What are your most heinous examples of this awful trope?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wouldn't call it the worst trope, but it is annoying.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, it's another example of story and gameplay clashing. I can't say it bothers me - I just kinda accept it. Not the same trope, but it was pretty funny to me when [mild ffvii rebirth spoilers] after several hours of Barrett using his arm gun to plink away at random orcs and snakes and doing like 7 hp damage, the Turks are hold their arms up in fear when he points it at them during a cut scene like it's suddenly a real gun and not a toy.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how its framed, really.

If the game just ignores that you won the fight and pretends it was a total one sided affair then yeah it's annoying. The more common example of just like the boss was holding back or has a fancy powerup or whatever is something that I think is a little cheesy but in a fun way so I'm cool with it.

Gen1Cam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of common enough that it doesn't bother me by now. But I would much rather they make the fight impossible to win.

goosemunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is probably the worst offender of this (though it's the least of the game's many faults). by my non-scientific estimation about 90% of its boss battles do this.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I 1000% prefer losing a fight in a cutscene to winning the fight, then having the boss decide they might as well unleash their true form, then having to fight the same dude for the same reason and roughly the same stakes all over again. As a Final Fantasy fan, this drives me to insaneness.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might go for the sub-trope of "Here's a seemingly important story choice, but the cutscene plays out the same way regardless."

But that might just be because I've been playing Rise of the Ronin.